Monday, October 8, 2012

RSS: Thing Ten

For Thing Ten, I signed myself up with Google Reader and subscribed to five different feeds related to teaching. 
Cool Cat Teacher Blog
Free Technology for Teachers
Confessions of a Pioneer Woman
learning.now
Dangerously Irrelevant
While searching through the different options for subscriptions, I took a small peek at each one to decide whether or not I would enjoy the feed. A few of the feeds have different tips or ideas for the classroom and a few others have funny thoughts to think about while in the classroom (or just funny thoughts to get you through another school day). I believe I could use the Cool Cat Teacher Blog or learning.now for the classroom when needing new ideas for teaching my students. These blogs also offer different resources I can use to incorporate into the classroom. For example, I noticed one feed on the Cool Cat Teacher Blog about the day Neil Armstrong was named an astronaut and what his parents' feelings were about it. This is not only interesting for me to watch or read about, but for my future students as well. Every young child has aspirations of becoming a doctor, lawyer, or astronaut! This would be perfect for them to watch and learn about. Now, for my personal life, I find blogs such as the Confessions of a Pioneer Woman to be good. The lady of the blog shares funny thoughts of her personal life that may give hard working people (such as teachers) a laugh for the day or week!
This technology is a great resource for everyone, especially teachers, to take advantage of. It is really simple to log onto my email and get to read each feed that is relevant for my classroom in one place. I can even check at school real quick and pull it up in my classroom in the middle of a lesson. For example, if I am teaching a lesson on the first walk on the moon in Social Studies and I want to mention something extra about Neil Armstrong. I enjoyed learning about another useful tool to use in my future classroom. It really is that simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment